I’ll admit it: I do it every now and then. We all do. We all procrastinate. In various ways, and in varying degrees. No big deal, right?
Left unmanaged, procrastination is a HUGE problem! For individuals, procrastination can lead to mental health problems, career dissatisfaction, other issues.
For businesses, it’s been referred to as ‘the silent killer’. Per one study, the average employee procrastinates 2+ hours/day. Financially, that translates to ~$11,000 per employee – per DAY – conservatively.
Reasons for avoidance are numerous, but in my opinion, it’s all about our minds, our mindstyle.
The 5 Ps my clients employ for addressing procrastination are:
- Pause – The moment you realize you’re beginning to procrastinate, stop. Take a few slow breaths.
- Pinpoint – Now that you’ve identified the procrastination, ask yourself WHY? Try to pinpoint the trigger, negative thoughts; the reason behind the avoidance.
- Pivot – Shift your thinking about the task you are avoiding.
- Prioritize – Perhaps it’s best to delegate the item, or jump to a more time-sensitive task.
- Perfect and proceed – Practice the art of becoming aware and controlling these patterns.
WE hold, in our MINDS, control over procrastination – over our behaviors.
To learn more about me, my approach and services, please visit www.lynndelgaudio.com